29 Aug 2014

Does true altuism really exist? And does it matter?

Altruism:  Sacrificing something for someone other than the self (e.g. sacrificing time, energy or possessions) with no expectation of any compensation or benefits, either direct, or indirect (e.g, receiving recognition for the act of giving).

Some people say that there's no such thing as true altruism, actions that are truly selfless, ones that you get absolutely nothing in return for.  I'm not sure if it really matters.  Part of me thinks that if you have done something good for others, then does it really matter?

To a greater or lesser extent, society has pretty much always been run on a "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" basis.  Way before the first coins came into existence, bartering and exchanges of goods and services were in effect - I'll give you a kilo of potatoes if you help me with my tax return etc.! 

In general  - as much as members of the human race are capable of behaving atrociously, I think that your average human being is a decent sort of a creature.  Not necessarily inherently good, but a middle of the road, OK sort of person.  And yet some (who can afford to) choose to donate to charity, some don't; some people hold the door open for the person behind them - some let it close in their face; some stand up for what they believe is right, others merely mutter behind closed doors "isn't XYZ awful" but never so much as sign a petition, let alone go on a protest march.

So, going with what motivates a person to stand up for what they believe in, what motivates a person to stand up to a tyrant, - say, Hitler - despite huge risk to themselves and their loved ones?  I know it's a bit maudlin, but something like the second world war is a good example of people showing their true colours - the truly awful and the truly good.  There were so many people that risked their business, their homes, their lives - to help others in a desperate situation - or to "rebel" against the disgraceful  individuals that called themselves the "superior" race - or to "disobey" the Gestapo's commands; and they have disappeared into the mists of time with no recognition whatsoever.  It's only the likes of Oskar Schindler, Miep & Jan Gies et al (that hid Anne Frank & family) that made the history books & films.

I'm not a psychologist or sociologist so I can only hypothesise from my own humble point of view.  If you, out of the kindness of your heart, do something that benefits another and you end up getting recognition for it, does it take away from the fact that you've done something good?  Personally I don't think so.  Some celebrities get flack for their charity endeavours, people saying that they only do it for good press.  To me, I guess it depends on your intent.  If you truly believe in a cause (and happen to be famous) and you donate money or time (or both) to said cause, and your photo gets published whilst involved with that cause or charity - does it lessen the good that the money you gave to that charity can do, or take away the education from those children you helped to learn to read?  I don't think it does.

Most "normal" (whatever that is!) people feel good when they have done something nice for another.  If I know that I'm going to feel like a good person for helping that old man across with his shopping - does it suddenly make that old man's arms ache again as if he's still carrying his shopping?  No.   If I help my goddaughter with her reading and to learn to use her imagination when I could be watching telly, what do I get out of it?  Nothing.  "Aah", the naysayers say; "but you may rely on her to read items out of the TV paper when you're old and your sight's fading, so that's still a benefit to you".  To them I say - bollocks! 

There are enough apathetic, unmotivated, uncaring and downright unpleasant individuals in the world that do no good in their neighbourhoods, families, or with their friends.  Let's celebrate the good intentioned for their kind deeds big and small; let's champion the grannies and friends that read children bedtime stories; the people that hold doors open for others; and those who donate their pocket money, or a fraction of their yearly profits to charity.  And let's all try to be the people we want others to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment